07 February, 2013

MtM 50 – God’s work is truly our own


As I prepare my fiftieth “Minutes that Matter” I recall being invited in June 2010 to write reflections for this program. My first reaction was one of dismay, as I doubted I had anything to contribute. Despite my initial reluctance, this commitment has encouraged me to explore the beliefs and values that give a deeper meaning to my life. When I retired after the 2008 Beijing Olympics, not even in my wildest dreams did I imagine the events that lay ahead. I turned away from a lucrative business to meet a personal challenge: after twenty years doing what was best for myself, I decided to devote the next twenty to doing what was best for the community. Call it a new vocation. Call it a midlife crisis. I had the financial independence to follow my wishes and the determination to try. Since then, I have developed an agency with a social impact and partnered with extraordinary people to extend a hand to those who have nobody else to turn to.

Profoundly grateful for everything this city has offered, it was time to show my appreciation in a meaningful way. When you reach personal goals, you evidently remain in the debt of the place that made it happen. At some point you might consider giving back. You could achieve this by directing your expertise towards a social cause close to your heart. Or you could show gratitude supporting programs that address poverty, discrimination and other unjust human conditions. A powerful way to leverage aid is to pay salaries for those in humanitarian services, which in the longterm greatly amplifies your personal engagement. Mankind is the only species that has built a civilization and this is because our actions enable beliefs to reach out and change the world. Since the challenges we encounter cannot be resolved by the same mindset that caused them, lasting change can only develop from the appreciation that on earth God’s work is truly our own.

Now, I wish to make a direct appeal to those who can make a difference in our community by prioritizing social needs over personal aspirations. Given that 8% of Hong Kong citizens are USD millionaires, there is no shortage of exceptional talent and disposable income in this prosperous city. Yours are the minds and hands needed to tackle collective problems. Yours are the skills and passion required in the public arena. Let’s break out of the 24/7 groove and seize the mantle of change. We can come together as more than the sum of our individual ambitions. It is proven that altruism fosters joy, so let’s strive for equal opportunity and quality of life for all. Four years of voluntary work have taught me that the antidote to egoism is engagement. When our blessings meet the needs of others, we experience the joy of uplifting other people’s dignity. It takes courage to take the first steps, but I assure you that nothing is more rewarding in life.